If you have installed Zotero on a lab or shared machine, you may want to take these steps to protect your data when you have completed your work.
- Backup / Sync your Zotero library.Most of us have automatic syncing turned on; you can also click the sync arrow on the Zotero task pane to force a manual sync to your account at zotero.org.
Not interested in using Zotero online storage? You can also navigate to where the ibrary is stored on the local computer and copy the files to a USB drive or storage option.
- Remove automatic syncing to your account. This will leave the program and your data directory, but prevent any other users from altereing the citations stored in your library.
Under the Gear (Preferences)> Sync, remove your credentials, uncheck "Sync automatically" and save.
- Delete your data directory. This is the directory on your computer where Zotero stores your personal library of citations and documents.
By default, your Zotero library is stored in the "zotero" directory of either your
Go to your Zotero settings Gear > Preferences > Advanced Tab > Files and Folders tab to find the current location of your data directory.
- Uninstall Zotero.
- For the Standalone version, use your computer's add / remove programs function.
- For Zotero for Firefox, go to Tools > Add-ons > Extensions and find and remove Zotero (and the Zotero Word plugin, if you choose). Restart Firefox after removing Zotero.