With Write-N-Cite you can easily view the formatting of your in-text citations, footnotes and bibliography – all while you are writing your paper.
Note: Each time you launch Write-N-Cite for Windows, you should be online and log in to RefWorks. This syncs your RefWorks database with Write-N-Cite. If you work off-line you may not have the latest changes you have made to your RefWorks database available until you go online and sync your document with RefWorks.
Logging In To Write-N-Cite for Windows:
1. Click ProQuest from the Microsoft Word ribbon.
2. In the Settings area, click Log In.
3. ProQuest for Word users -- click "RefWorks" and then enter your RefWorks log-in credentials. You'll see the tab in Word change from ProQuest to RefWorks.
The first time you log in to Write-N-Cite, it will automatically “sync” with your RefWorks account. This may take a few seconds. It is downloading your references, folders and preferred output styles. Any time you make changes to your RefWorks references you can click Sync my Database in the Extras area and your new and edited references will be included in your account.
During this period, you can still access all of Word’s functionality, but the Write-N-Cite functions will not become active until syncing has finished.
The first thing you will want to do is select an output style for your document. Any in-text citations or footnotes and your bibliography will be displayed in your document while you write your paper – in the output style you have selected. You can always change the style later if you need to.
1. Click the Style drop down. You will see a list of RefWorks’ popular styles.
2. Click on the style name or click Select Other Style at the bottom of the list to see your personal “favorites” or any output styles recommended by your organization (group favorites).
3. You can change your output style and the formatting of your paper at any time by clicking on Style and selecting a new output style.
Note: if the output style you need for your paper is NOT in listed in the popular styles, favorites or group favorites, you will need to log in to your RefWorks account and add it using the Output Style Manager. Once you add the style, you may need to sync Write-N-Cite to download the new style. Click Sync My Database in the Extras area of Write-N-Cite to download the newly added style.
Make sure to sync your RefWorks database with Write-N-Cite if you have recently added references you want to use in your paper. Click the Sync my database icon to download new or updated references and output styles.
When you are ready to insert an in-text citation or footnote into your paper:
1. Click the Insert Citation and Insert New option to launch the insert/edit citation box. If you have previously used Write-N-Cite, you may see some recently selected citations listed above the Insert New option. You can select citations displayed from this list or access all your references from the Insert New option.
2. Once the Insert/Edit Citation box displays, you can access references by folder search for a specific reference. The search box will search every field of every reference. You can use “AND” and “OR” when using the search box.
Use the horizontal scroll bar to see the full title of a reference. Right-clicking on the reference and choosing the item from the context menu will display the complete record (file attachments are not displayed).
Full Reference View:
3. Click on the reference you wish to insert into your paper. You will see a preview of the formatted citation in your current Output Style.
4. Click OK to insert your formatted citation into your paper. To add a second references in a single citation, click the + button in the Compose Citation area and then select the reference from your list.
5. To insert a footnote instead of an in-text citation, click the Make Footnote checkbox in the Edit Reference area. Once you make a footnote and finish editing the citation, you will not be able to undo this action. However, you can always add a new in-text citation.
6. You can insert your bibliography anywhere in your paper while you are writing. Click Bibliography Options, Insert Bibliography. Note: the bibliography will be inserted wherever the cursor is in your paper. You can click Remove Bibliography and re-insert if it you need to change the location.
Make sure to save your formatted paper (you should really save it periodically while you are writing!).
To download and install Write-N-Cite, you will need to download the proper version from within your RefWorks account. To access the Write-N-Cite download page, click on Tools, then select Write-N-Cite.
From the Write-N-Cite 4 download page, you will click to install the correct version of Write-N-Cite onto your computer. If you have the 32 bit version of Word installed on your computer, click to install the 32 bit version.
If you have the 64-bit version of Word installed on your computer, click to install the 64-bit version.
These boxes used text and images found from the http://proquest.libguides.com/refworks/writencite.