What if the item record indicates that the item is located in the Library Annex (LOCATION CODES FOR ITEM RECORDS=STORM, STORC, STORA, ETC) and you need to request for it?
Items in the Library Annex:
If an item is located in the Library Annex, also known as LINX, you DO NOT have to physically go get it, as the Library Annex is in a different building several blocks away from campus. However, you can send a S-H-I-P request for the item to be sent to you for review.
It is time to check Caiasoft. In order to do this, you or someone in your department needs a Caiasoft account in order to login and check to see if the item was accessioned in Caiasoft (barcode scanned into the Caiasoft system) or not.
If you do not have a Caiasoft account: Let Ashley or Lisa in Serials know that you need help verifying if an item was accessioned or not in Caiasoft. If you want your own account so you can check yourself, you can send your Caiasoft account request to email@example.com.
If you have a Caiasoft account:
- First, login into Caiasoft.
- Before sending a S-H-I-P Request, it is important to double check to see if the item was accessioned.
- Click on the Storage Management link through the left-side navigation.
- Copy the barcode number from the item record barcode field from Sierra and paste it into the "Item by Barcode" search engine in Caiasoft. This search engine is located at the top of the web page.
- Now click on "locate".
- If the web page reloads and you see an "address" box, a "container" box, and "item" box, then you can tell that the item was accessioned into LINX and it is there.
- However, if you try to search for the barcode and you see a red box that says "Item 35129XXXXXXXXX does not exist", then you can tell that this item has NOT been accessioned in LINX. If this happens, please notify Ashley or your supervisor so this can be further reviewed.
- After confirming that the item is in Caiasoft, you can proceed to send a S-H-I-P Request.
S-H-I-P Request through Caiasoft:
- A S-H-I-P (Special Handling, Internal & Preservation) request is a type of Caiasoft job type that is a special circulation type for items retrieved for non-patron use, such as for preservation work, exhibits, faculty holds, etc. Items retrieved on SH-I-P Jobs are listed separately on Items Outstanding and Circulation Metrics and Frequency reports, as to not skew any counts regarding patron use. So this type of request allows us to request for items to be pulled from the Library Annex (LINX) and then sent to Serials so it can be reviewed by us and possibly worked on before going back to LINX.
- You can watch the video Kathleen created that explains how to make a S-H-I-P Request. It is located in the local network drive called Serials--->LINX folder---->S-H-I-P Request folder or follow the written instructions here:
- S-H-I-P Request procedures:
Click on “Circulation”.
Click on “S-H-I-P: Special Handling, Internal & Preservation”.
Click on “Add Items”. Note: Once you click on this, it automatically creates a “job” in real time. If you decide that you need to delete your “job," click on "Delete Job".
- Designate a “Stop/Location”: So if you want it to come to you in Serials, select “MULN : main”.
- Details field: ATTN: “Your First name” “(reminder note of why you created this job)”.
- Item field: This is where the Sierra item record barcode number is going to go.
- Click on “Save”.
- After saving the item, you can continue to add items to the request.
- Every item added is added to the “Items” list at the bottom of the web page.
- Remember that this is saved in real time. Please add items to your S-H-I-P request in a timely manner because the Library Annex staff can see your S-H-I-P request in real time and might already be working on your request. Try to complete your request within 2 minutes of adding it to the queue.
- You can see your job in the “Circulation Jobs in Queue” if you click on “Circulation” under the left-side navigation. The queue will be located at the top of the web page.
- After receiving the item from LINX and your review is done, then you can proceed to update the item record and send the item back to LINX.
- Before sending the item back to LINX, make sure to change the item record status to "t" (In Transit) and the sticky status to "5" (Request This Item).
- Then proceed to hand the item to User Services Staff. User Services Staff will make sure the status is “t” and sticky status “5”, print a receipt, flag the item with the receipt, then place the item in the LINX return bin (green bin). This procedure is only for items already accessioned. Do not use this procedure for items awaiting to be accessioned.