Human Environmental Sciences

A few handbooks for background

CSES, HORT, AECT, PLPA, HESC Agriculture Librarian

Necia Parker Gibson's picture
Necia Parker Gibson
Mullins Library 220N

Email is the best way to contact me.

I've set my office phone to forward to my cell phone. We'll see how that works.

I'm working from home starting 3/16/2020 until further notice. Email or use the text number below. If you want me, particularly, ask for me.

Text a librarian: 479-385-0803

For students, faculty, and staff I will:
Answer your questions via email, phone or Skype or Facetime (until we are back to face to face).
Recommend databases for your topic.
Meet individually to work out your topic or discuss research strategies.

For faculty, I will:
Provide in-person library instruction tailored to your class, or tailored research guides to your class, with some lead time.

Meet with your students individually or in small groups.
Track down tricky citations. Purchase books and other materials, as funds allow.

I do consultations via email, Skype or Facetime (as well as face to face, when we can again).
Email me for an appointment.

Thesauruses and subject lists

Most of the databases have a thesaurus that yields subject terms, and 'indexes' that are lists of corporate authors, journal titles, and geographic terms. These vary between and among the databases. For example, CAB Abstracts does not include an author name index, but you may search by an author's name and add topics to the search, such as Oliver in the author field and palmer amaranth in 'all text'.

It is a good idea to check to see that you are using the best terms for your topic. The thesaurus also lists variations on terminology-- broader terms are larger in scope; narrower terms are more limited. "Use" means that is the preferred term to use-- UF or "used for" means that the first term is used by preference. Narrower terms are more specific and more limited; broader terms are covering a bigger array of materials and/or are less specific to a particular subject.

For example, in CAB's listing, it shows: Sensory evaluation, with a narrower term of olfactometry. In Food Science and Technology Abstracts, for Mouthfeel, a broader term is sensory properties, and a narrower term is grittiness.