Check out University of Pennsylvania Libraries Open Access Images Research Guide.
- This Research Guide offers many resources for finding Open Access images, explaining the different types of licensing, and even instructions on how to correctly attribute any images you may use.
*The University of Arkansas Libraries is appreciative of the University of Pennsylvania Libraries for letting us share their Open Access Images Research Guide with our audience. Thank you!
- OpenGLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museum) is an initiative arranged by Open Knowledge.
- OpenGLAM promotes free and Open Access to digital cultural collections held by Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums.
Metropolitan Museum of Art's Digital Public Domain Artworks art collection
NASA Image Galleries
- Official NASA photographs, including astronauts, space shuttles, the moon landing, and more.
- Images are available on the linked website above as well as on Flickr.
The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
- Online exhibits of historical photos found at the above link, as well as on their Flickr page and their Online Catalog.
- All photos on the Flickr page are marked "no known copyright restrictions"; in general, "materials produced by Federal agencies are in the public domain and may be reproduced without permission."
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Photo Library
- Official Flickr account for NOAA, containing collections like the Fisheries Collection, the National Weather Service Collection, and many more.
- Tip: Though most NOAA photos & slides are public domain, some photos are known to have copyright restrictions and are duly noted in the galleries. Credit must be given to NOAA.
The Wellcome Collection
- Over 100,000 art and medicine images from The Wellcome Library in London - includes medical art like manuscripts, etchings, advertisements, and more.
- Medical & ethnographic objects collection acquired by Sir Henry Wellcome & his agents between 1890 - 1936.
- WARNING - From the website: "You may find some of these representations of people and cultures offensive or distressing... the collection includes images of nakedness, medical conditions, and surgical interventions."
New York Public Library's Public Domain Digital Collections
United States Department of Agriculture
- High-def digital photographs from the Agricultural Research Service Office of Communications
- Images include things like animals, crops, food, insects, plants, and more.
The Museum of New Zealand
- Collections Online library with over 30,000 images available
- Tip: Before searching, check the "with downloadable images" check box to only get results that are free for download.
- Europeana Collections offers artworks, artifacts, books, videos, and sounds from across Europe.
- Unsplash offers high resolution photos that are licensed under Creative Commons Zero which means you can copy, modify, distribute and use the photos for free, including commercial purposes, without asking permission from or providing attribution to the photographer or Unsplash. For more information check out Unsplash's Frequently Asked Questions.