Why a re-introduction? Today’s rapidly evolving publishing ecosystem presents you with more decisions than ever about when, where, and how to make your scholarship available. This workshop will empower you with a basic understanding of copyright law and publishing contracts to make those decisions with confidence. You will learn:
• Fundamentals of U.S. copyright law; your rights as an author;
• criteria for using copyrighted material;
• skills for reading and negotiating a publishing contract;
• the purpose of open access and open licenses
Bring your questions!
Melody Herr, PhD, has extensive experience with publishing contracts, on both sides of the desk. For more than 16 years, she worked for university presses as an acquiring editor. Currently, she serves as Head of the Office of Scholarly Communications at the University of Arkansas. An author herself, she has published six books, the most recent of which is Writing and Publishing Your Book: A Guide for Experts in Every Field (Greenwood, 2017).
1) Check the box for this workshop when you register for OAH 2020: https://secure.oah.org/store
2) If you have already registered for OAH 2020, go to https://secure.oah.org/store, login to access your registration, and add the workshop by clicking through to "2020 Meeting Add-Ons."
3) Email email@example.com and ask to join the workshop.