EVIDENCE BASED PRACTICE PROJECT (150 points)
Description of Assignment
This assignment requires you to apply the knowledge gained in class to describe and apply the steps in
the Evidence Based Practice (EBP) process. This assignment is intended to broaden your
understanding of the course material and allows you to demonstrate mastery of course content. You will
apply the concepts you have learned and make connections to real world examples.
Steps in the Evidence-Based Practice Process (p. 24-30 in your text)
Step 1: Formulate a question to answer practice needs
Step 2: Search for the evidence
Step 3: Critically appraise the relevant studies you find
Step 4: Determine which evidence-based intervention is the most appropriate for
your particular clients
Step 5: Apply the evidence-based intervention
Step 6: Evaluation and Feedback
x Assignment will be completed individually.
x Turn in assignment on Blackboard.
x Do not exceed 10 double-spaced pages.
x Include a title page and headings.
x No late assignments will be accepted.
A literature review is the first step when writing a research paper. It will allow you to locate books, journal articles and other materials to support or refute the research you are doing. They can give you an overview or act as background to more recent information. A literature review allows you to learn about the history of a field and current developments. It allows you to find the most pertinent or relevant books and journal articles related to a subject.
I like to use the same techniques as developing a topic sentence, for developing a search strategy.
Start with your topic sentence. I am researching dementia patients and medication
Next break it down. What are other words that can be used?
Connect them using the following words
and : narrows your results. All words must be in the results dementia and medication and evidence based
or : broadens your results. Any of the words must be in your results. dementia or alzheimer's
not : excludes words. evidence based research not qualitative
() : allows you to combine it all together. (dementia or alzheimer's) and medication
Here are some helpful hints to assist you in getting the most out of research.
1. Buy a copy of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. 6th edition. The first three chapters are a very important guide to writing for an academic audience.
2. Set the foundation - build your skills, just as you would in learning anything new. The more you do it the better you become.
3. Ask for help! Get to know your subject librarian. We can help you with search strategies and source selection to maximize your time management.
4. Utilize the "Find It" feature on the Libraries website.
5. Sign up for Interlibrary Loan which is also known as Illiad.