If you have installed Zotero on a lab or shared machine, you may want to take these steps to protect your data when you have completed your work.
- Backup / Sync your Zotero library.Most of us have automatic syncing turned on; you can also click the sync arrow on the Zotero task pane to force a manual sync to your account at zotero.org.
Not interested in using Zotero online storage? You can also navigate to where the ibrary is stored on the local computer and copy the files to a USB drive or storage option.
- Remove automatic syncing to your account. This will leave the program and your data directory, but prevent any other users from altereing the citations stored in your library.
Under the Edit > Preferences > Sync, remove your credentials, uncheck "Sync automatically" and save.
- Delete your data directory. This is the directory on your computer where Zotero stores your personal library of citations and documents.
Go to your Zotero settings Edit> Preferences > Advanced Tab > Files and Folders tab to find the current location of your data directory or view a list of default locations.
- Uninstall Zotero and Browser Connectors
- Use your computer's add / remove programs function or in IOS, drag the program to the trash to uninstall it.
- For Browser Connectors, open your browser settings or options for plugins or add-ons and select the remove/uninstall button next to Zotero Connector.