Serials Access & Claiming Overview:
The main goal of claims is to communicate with vendors and publishers to ensure that all materials are received in a timely manner and in good condition. The Serials Receiving Specialist oversees claims with the two main vendors, EBSCO & Harrassowitz. The Serials Access Specialist oversees claims for other paid titles and gifts. In addition, the Serials Access Specialist oversees Serials exchanges--or agreements that we enter into with other institutions in which we provide material (often journals) in exchange for equal material (journals).
- Creating lists weekly to determine which issues need to be claimed
- Contacting the appropriate vendor/publisher to acquire materials on the lists
- Printing and filing claims slips on a weekly basis
- Ensuring that damaged and skipped issues are replaced by vendors/publishers
- Coordinating the acquisition of gift titles with the maintenance position by contacting the publisher to request gift subscriptions
- Renewing gift subscriptions at the proper time
- Capturing electronic issues for archival purposes each month
- Coordinating the exchange of particular titles between our library and partner libraries.
- Maintaining an Access database of exchange partners and publications
- Verifying annually that exchanges are current
- When necessary, coordinating the mailing of publications to partners by use of Microsoft Word/Excel to maintain lists and print mailing labels
- Delivering material with proper paperwork to shipping and receiving
- Reviewing emails daily to update records after claiming with the vendor/publisher
- Notifying maintenance and receiving of any changes such as drops, ceased subscriptions, frequency changes, etc.
- Notifying Serials Acquisitions of subscription extensions, possible payment issues, replacement decisions needed, etc.