The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee will:
- Encourage, develop, and support inclusion and diversity initiatives and programs within University of Arkansas Libraries, with a particular emphasis on developing anti-racism initiatives and programming.
- Provide opportunities for University of Arkansas Libraries employees to:
- Engage on issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Learn about ways to enhance the inclusivity of our service offerings.
- Write a values statement for inclusion and diversity practices at University Libraries.
- Identify a set of Libraries-wide priorities for engaging our community around these questions. (Areas can include specific programs in the libraries; recruitment and retention of faculty/staff; overall climate of the organization; perceptions of services.)
- Advocate for increasing the profile of people of underrepresented and marginalized groups in library collections, services, and spaces.
- Align inclusion and diversity initiatives in University of Arkansas Libraries with the university’s overall plans for inclusion and diversity, and respond to university plans and mandates as necessary.
- Deliver regular updates to library faculty and staff on inclusion and diversity initiatives in University of Arkansas Libraries and the university, including updates on key data elements related to diversity and inclusion and training opportunities.
- Advocate for the recruitment, hiring and retention of people with diverse backgrounds and experiences by establishing a set of “best practices” for supporting those individuals at all stages of contributions.
- Create an annual summary report on inclusion and diversity within University of Arkansas Libraries to deliver to Libraries administration. The Chair and/or other members of the Committee will present an overview at an annual University of Arkansas Libraries All Staff meeting.
- The Chair will meet with the Dean at least quarterly to identify goals and report on activities, identify obstacles and areas of concern, and enlist the direct involvement of the Dean as necessary for Committee initiatives.
Administrative Liaison: Jason Battles, Dean of UA Libraries