Manually exporting references from a database and then importing them to your RefWorks account takes a few extra steps -- but it is still much easier than typing out a long list of citations.
Exact instructions will vary by database, but the general procedures will be:
- Mark or save the references you wish to add to your account
- Look for a button or link to export or save your marked records
- If direct export to RefWorks is not available, you will save your references to a file.
The format of the file can be .txt, .ris, or another specified in our instructions.
- Log in to your RefWorks account, if you are not already logged in
- Navigate to References > Import.
- Select the Import Filter / Data Source and Database as indicated in our instructions.
- Browse to Select the Text file that you saved.
- Choose the folder where you would like to send the references (they will also be placed in the Last Imported folder).
Manual Import Tips:
- Be sure to follow the instructions and save the file in the correct format.
- Remember the name of the file and where you saved it.