Researchers' Identities

ResearcherID, ORCID, and other attempts to disambiguate authors, grant writers and other contributors

CSES, HORT, AECT, PLPA, HESC Agriculture Librarian

Necia Parker Gibson's picture
Necia Parker Gibson
Mullins Library 220N

Email is the best way to contact me.

I've set my office phone to forward to my cell phone. We'll see how that works.

I'm working from home starting 3/16/2020 until further notice. Email or use the text number below. If you want me, particularly, ask for me.

Text a librarian: 479-385-0803

For students, faculty, and staff I will:
Answer your questions via email, phone or Skype or Facetime (until we are back to face to face).
Recommend databases for your topic.
Meet individually to work out your topic or discuss research strategies.

For faculty, I will:
Provide in-person library instruction tailored to your class, or tailored research guides to your class, with some lead time.

Meet with your students individually or in small groups.
Track down tricky citations. Purchase books and other materials, as funds allow.

I do consultations via email, Skype or Facetime (as well as face to face, when we can again).
Email me for an appointment.

Registering in Web of Science for a ResearcherID-- it's free!

Registering in Web of Science allows you to create a ResearcherID, and to save and re-run searches. Registration is free, and it also makes it easier to tag and send records, and allows you to use EndNote Basic through their site. Their form allows you to include other versions of your name, which may be important over the course of your career.

IF you have already created a login and password for Web of Science or Endnote, you can create a profile using the same one. It's much better to NOT create duplicates.

image of login page for ResearcherID

The primary purpose of the ResearcherID is to help disambiguate authors with similar names and/or similar research areas. Persons with common surnames (Johnson and Smith are common in the U.S., and Li, Zhang and Chen are most common in China according to may wish to create a ResearcherID profile and put citations to their works in the reference lists.

The secondary purpose of a ResearcherID is to help you track citations to your published works, if you include them in your profile, and especially if they are in journals that are indexed in Web of Science. A third purpose is to help you find collaborators with interests in common or complementary interests.

Scholar Universe is another product, through ProQuest, that works very similarly to ResearcherID. An individual can make a profile or edit what is there. It may require that you or at least your campus has a subscription to the databases involved.