This guide is created to assist students to build their research skills in order to complete the major project for Social Work with African American Families, taught by Dr. Valandra. The paper has the following components: Introduction, Statement of the issue or problem, Literature review (8 - 10 scholarly articles), Conclusion, Recommendations and Overall learning outcomes.
APA or MLA format
6-8 Pages long.
Here are some helpful hints to assist you in getting the most out of research.
1. Buy a copy of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. 6th edition. The first three chapters are a very important guide to writing for an academic audience.
2. Set the foundation - build your skills, just as you would in learning anything new. The more you do it the better you become.
3. Ask for help! Get to know your subject librarian. We can help you with search strategies and source selection to maximize your time management.
4. Utilize the "Find It" feature on the Libraries website.
5. Sign up for Interlibrary Loan which is also known as Illiad.
6. Sign up for "Open Sessions", especially the ones pertaining to undergraduate research and citation managers, like Zotero, EndNote, or Mendeley.