Single Item Record Creation in Sierra (See below for how to add multiple item records):
Before starting, make sure you know what needs to be in the item records. Your supervisor/Serials Processing Specialist will let you know how the volume fields should be done as well as what the fixed fields should be. You will need to know what to put in the following fixed fields: I Type, ICODE2, Location, Status, and Sticky Status=5 (if applicable. Only if the item is going to STORC/STORM).
- Open Public Display before creating item records.
- Go to "View" on the left hand side of the screen.
- Choose "Public Display"
- You want to view the item record summary.
- Click on the “Attach New Item” button.
This will open the "New Item Options" box. From here you can decide to add a single item or multiple items.
Adding a single item:
- Select Single Item from the "New Item Option" box and click OK.
- This will open up the New item template.
- Select Template: You are going to use either "bind: Binding" or "linxgift: Gift to Linx"
- Use this template for non-LINX items: "bind: Binding"
- Use this template for LINX items:"linxgift: Gift to Linx"
- Remember that you must change the I TYPE to a serials I TYPE (1, 2, 36, etc.) if you use the linxgift item template.
- Serial item records never use 0=Monographs.
- Copy #: 1.
- However, if you are creating an item record for an additional copy, please use the appropriate copy number.
- For example, if we already have a copy of v.1 and we are adding an additional copy of v.1, then the copy # of what you are adding will be "2".
- Select "Next".
- Volume field: Fill in the volume field with the correct enumeration, cover date, and abbreviations of the item in hand based on the criteria specified by the Serials Processing Specialist and/or Serials Cataloging Supervisor. If you are unsure, please ask the Serials Processing Specialist and/or Serials Cataloging Supervisor. Select "Next".
- Barcode field: Scan the barcode into the barcode field with your barcode scanner.Select "Next".
- I Type: Fill in the correct I Type (1, 2, or 36), Location, ICODE 2=g (For serials donations only), Status, Sticky Status=5 (If applicable. For items going to STORC/STORM ONLY).If you are unsure, please ask the Serials Processing Specialist and/or Serials Cataloging Supervisor.
- Next click Save and go back to the item record summary.
- Move the item to the correct place in the item record summary by using the move button.
- Items are always listed in chronological order (newest to oldest or v.10, v.9, v.8, etc.) within location groupings.
- Print off monographic labels for the item. Within the item record, go to Tools-->Print Spine Label or you can use CTRL-L.
Adding multiple items:
- Select Multiple Items from the "New Item Option" box and fill in all the appropriate information.
- In the volume caption box type the set of letters to be inserted in front of each item's volume field (e.g., v., pt., no.). Whatever you put into this field will precede any volume or issue numbers of each item.
- The first volume number is "1" and the last volume number is the number of items you are adding.
- Add the correct location and # of copies (usually 1).
- Now click OK.
- This will open up the new item template. Fill out all appropriate information just like with a Single Item template. Then save.
- Modify Group:
- Next, go back to the item summary. you will now highlight and drag/select the iem records you need to add/update fields in the item records.
- Then go to Edit-->Modify Group.
- Proceed to make sure that the location is correct then check I Type, ICODE 2, Status, Sticky Status=5 (Only if the item is going to STORC/STORM), volume field, and scan barcodes.
- You will double click into the Field box at the top middle of the window to choose what field you want to edit.
- Remember that even if you fill in the fields, Sierra doesn't auto save your work. It lets you know that the field was "modified" in the status column (to the left of the window).Always click on Save after modifying the fields.
- After you are done with modifying the fields and scanning the barcodes, proceed to move the items to the correct placement in the item record summary by using the move button. Serial items are always listed in chronological order (newest to oldest or v.10, v.9, v.8 etc.) within location groupings.
- Print off monographic labels for the items. To print multiple labels, highlight/drag/select the item records in the item summary that you need labels for. Then go to Tools or you can use CTRL-L.