Web of Science
By registering and creating a profile on the Web of Science site, you can save searches and set up citation alerts.
Saved Searches / Search Alerts
- From the Web of Science home page, click the “Sign In” button, and select Register. Input your email address, then use the One Time Use activation code that was emailed to you to finish registering. Once you’ve input the code, fill out the registration form as prompted. Creating a profile will allow you to set up search alerts as well as to customize your Web of Knowledge preferences.
- You can create up to 25 searches that are stored in your profile and matched to new citations in the database(s) on a weekly basis.
- Conduct a search or combine multiple sets until you are satisfied with the results.
- Click the button for "Search History" at the top of the screen. A dialogue box will pop up. Input the Search History Name, description (optional), email address, type, format, and frequency, then click save.
- If desired, you can save the search history to a local drive. Simply hit the Save button on the bottom of the dialogue box.
This feature allows you to receive an e-mail alert when articles you select are cited by new articles added to the database. To add an article to this list (and receive an e-mail each time it is cited):
- Log in to your profile, if you are not already logged in.
- Perform a search in Web of Science.
- When viewing a Full Record, click the "Create Citation Alert" button and then Done.
- Citation Alerts can be viewed and modified in the “Saved Searches & Alerts” section of “My Tools”
- Citation Alerts expire at the end of one year, unless you choose to renew them. To renew or modify Citation Alerts settings, go to "Citation Alerts" in the Saved Searches & Alerts List.