ScienceDirect offers more than 1800 important journals in the pure, applied, and social sciences. The University Libraries have subscriptions to approximately 700 of these titles, but you can still search the ScienceDirect database for articles on topics of interest to you. Articles from journals not in our collections can be requested on Interlibrary Loan through ILLiad.
There are four kinds of alerting options in ScienceDirect. To use them, you must create an individual user account on ScienceDirect. After creating an account and logging in, click on the "Alerts" button on the top navigation bar. to access the following alerts options:
For Search Alerts:
- Click on your account name in the top right part of the page. This will pull down a drop down box. Click the Manage Alerts link.
- Click “Add a Search Alert”, and perform a search.
- Click the "Save As Search Alert" link on the top right, just above the search results.
- Assign a name for the Alert, as well as which email address you wish to use, and select the frequency you’d like to receive alerts at.
- Once you’re finished, hit Save. The site returns you to the search results page.
For Topic Alerts:
- From the Manage Alerts page, click on the “Add a Topic Alert” link.
- Choose a broad category and then a more specific subject within that category.
- Click Save. You will receive new articles matching your selection(s) weekly.
For Journal Volume/Issue Alerts:
- From the Manage Alerts page, click the “Select journals and books you are interested in” link.
- When you find a journal that you would like to receive notifications for, navigate to the journal’s page, then click on the “Subscribe to new volume alerts” towards the top of the page.