Serials Receiving Specialist Overview:
Receiving involves the reception of print serials (both continuation and periodical) in all formats, checking-in said serials, and then processing those print serials for circulation.
This entails working in the Sierra and OCLC catalogs and completing a variety of procedures:
- Confirm the title and publisher.
- Confirm volume, issue and cover date information.
- Identify erratum, index, and supplements.
- Create new check-in and item records as required.
- Search and identify titles not in Sierra, following procedures for no record items.
- Keep accurate accounting of received items by keeping physical format and non-print format statistics.
- Perform record maintenance by editing check-in cards and records as needed.
- Assist in maintaining the validity of online bibliographic and check-in records.
- Physically process materials according to procedures.
- Verify standing orders and invoices.
- Assist in stamping, stripping, and processing materials to be shelf-ready.
- Provide information to various Serials Staff who may need to know about notifications and changes in order to update various records in Sierra.
- Coordinate with Serials Cataloging, Binding/Preservation, and other relevant units as required.
- Assist in the management and creation of physical reproductions in print or other formats for specific materials that may be received only in electronic formats.