Categories of the different types of changes in status:
From paid subscription to gift: publisher decides to go from a paid subscription to offering the publication as a gift to its subscribers.
From gift to paid subscription: publication is no longer free and the subject selector decides that the library will pay for a subscription.
From exchange to gift: exchange ceased but the exchange partner continues to send the publication to our library as a gift.
Adding notes to the check in record and check in card:
Pending notes for the check in record:
- When Serials finds out in advance about a pending change in status, we have to add notes to the check in record and the check in card to let other library staff know what is going on.
- Add change in status note: While the change in status is pending, add a note field underneath the "~~PARAMETERS:" note in the check in record.
- For example: "-----CHANGE IN STATUS: "The type of old status" w/ "last issue of old status" ; changed to "The type of new status" starting w/ "the lst issue of the new status" ; [Statistic notes about the drop and the add] COUNTED as 1 drop "the type of I TYPE" "the type of format" "the type of status" primary; COUNTED as 1 ADD "the type of I TYPE" "the type of format" "the type of status" primary (date and initials)".
- Real example: -----CHANGE IN STATUS: Drop effective immediately w/ v.44 no.5 Jun. 2015; changed to GIFT STATUS; WILL RECEIVE GIFT UNTIL AUG. 2018; COUNTED as 1 drop PERIODICAL print paid primary; COUNTED as 1 add PERIODICAL print gift primary (05/20/15 anm)
- If we haven't received all the issues of the old status yet and you need to review at time of receiving the 1st issue of the new status, add a message field:
- "Change in status from " " to " " w/ "YYYY"; notify the "Serials Processing Specialist's name" when 1st "type of new status" copy recd (date and initials)".
- Real example of the message field: "Change in status from paid to gift w/ "2018"; notify Ashley when the 1st gift copy recd (07/10/17 anm)
- FYI: the pending change in status means that we know the change will happen in the near future but we still have remaining issues to be received.
Add suppressed boxes in the check in card:
- Add a blank box between the last issue to be received with the old status and the 1st issue of the new status.
- Add public note in the box: "Chg in status from "type of old status" to "type of new status" starting w/ (YYYY) (date and initials)".
- You can use the staff note to add any additional information that may be useful to other library staff.
- Suppress box from public view.