Paid Exchange New Setup
Paid exchange: The University Libraries pays for a copy to be sent to an institution, library, or society. This procedure is broken down into two sections. The first section is usually completed by the Receiving Specialist, while the second section is completed by the Receiving Specialist.
PART 1: Receiving Specialist:
- You will receive notification about a new paid exchange setup either from a Subject Librarian, Acquisitions Manager, or UARK publication publisher.
- For instance, sometimes the publication that we pay for will notify us about setting up a new paid exchange.
- For example: Arkansas Historical Quarterly can establish a new paid exchange with another institution/publisher.
- If the Acquisitions Manager did not notify you about the new paid exchange, go ahead and notify them about it before starting your process.
- After being notified: Look for the publication in OCLC Connexion. If you are unable to find a record in OCLC, proceed to try and find the publication's website. Let the Receiving Specialist know if an OCLC record and/or website was found or not. This will further aid the Receiving Specialist during the set up process.
- The Receiving Specialist will be responsible for contacting the institution/publisher as well as the UARK publication publisher (if applicable) after being notified of a new paid exchange.
- Make sure we are on the new institution/publisher mailing list to receive the publication.
- (If applicable) Make sure the AHQ UARK publication publisher is sending a copy to the new institution/publisher.
- If the publication is not AHQ, the Serials Department will be solely responsible to make sure each party receives their copy.
- For example: The Receiving Specialist will be responsible for sending out JAAS every Spring.
- Check out the link below called JAAS (Journal of the Arkansas Academy of Science) Processing/Mailing Procedures.
Updating the Exchange Notebook (Microsoft Access in the Serials Drive):
The Receiving Specialist will also be responsible for updating the exchange notebook, the exchange spreadsheet, and the exchange distribution lists appropriately.
- In the Exchange Notebook go to Microsoft Access: Exchange
- To add a new entry:
- Click on (Partners) >>(Ok) >> (New)
- Make sure the Active Box is checked.
- Fill in the publication/institution information.
- Under the “Send to UARK” tab in the publication field add the 245 title. Add the bibliographic record number.
- Under the “Receive from UARK” tab choose the UARK publication that will be exchanged.
- After the Microsoft Access: Exchange is updated it is time to update the exchange spreadsheet.
- After you have updated the exchange spreadsheet, go ahead and update the exchange distribution lists.
- After you have updated the exchange notebook, exchange spreadsheet, exchange distribution lists, email the Serials Processing Specialist to let them know that this is done.
PART 2: Receiving Specialist:
- After being notified by the Receiving Specialist, proceed to export a record from OCLC Connexion. Before exporting a record, always double check to see if we already have the title in Sierra.
- After conducting an OCLC review and checking that we don’t have the record in Sierra, export the bibliographic record.
- Blank the CAT date and add a 947 local note field “BIB XPO; 222 ADDED (date/initials)”.
- Only add the “222 added” phrase if you added a 222 field.
- Create a check-in record.
- Fixed Fields:
- LABEL TYPE: n NO LABEL
- SCODE2: f PAID EXCH
- VENDOR: none
- Below you will find what variable fields to add to the check in record:
- CALL # OnOrder
- NOTE [Announces new exchange] PENDING NEW PAID EXCH SETUP (05/29/15 anm)
- NOTE [Contact info for exchange partner] CONTACT: Peggy Duty, <email@example.com> ; from EXCHANGE NOTEBOOK (06/01/15 anm)
- NOTE [URL information if available] [For Serials use; online archive of 1958-2007] (05/29/15 anm)
- NOTE [Parameters for Check-in Card] ~~PARAMETERS: 90 / 30 (05/29/15 anm)
- VEN. ADDR.[Vendor Address] CENTRAL TEXAS GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY C/O WEST WACO LIBRARY AND GENEALOGY CENTER 5301 BOSQUE BLVD #275 WACO TEXAS 76710
- MESSAGE [Message to alert receiving assistant to pass issues to R3] *SEND ALL ISSUES TO R3 FOR SETUP. (05/29/15 anm)*
- If you have not received the issues, create a message field so the issues will be delivered to the Serials Processing Specialist. After receiving the issues, you can begin the process of send the new set up paperwork and issues to Serials Cataloging.
- Edit the check-in card (frequency, enumeration, claiming) to correspond to the publication.
- Add check-in boxes in the check-in card.
- Create the order record:
- Fixed fields:
- ACQ TYPE: 0 NOCHARGE
- CODE4: RECEIVE FROM UARK PUBLICATION
- ORD TYPE: 1 PAID EXCHANGE
- Variable fields:
Finally, after creating the check-in and order records, it is time to fill out the new set up form.
This paperwork, along with the received issues, can now be sent to Cataloging.