Binding Empty Card Email Notifications:
When a check in record of a bound title is no longer needed, Preservation will notify the Receiving Specialist with a binding empty card notification via email.
Email Rules for Preservation Staff:
It is very important that Preservation staff follow these 2 rules in order the email to go directly to the correct folder in the Serials email account.
1. Make sure to send the notification to <firstname.lastname@example.org>
2. Make sure the subject of the email is "Empty Card".
After following these 2 important rules, you can proceed to add the following to the body of the email:
- c# (check in number)
- b# (bibliographic number)
- CALL # (Library of Congress call number)
Question: Who in Serials is responsible for checking the Binding notifications in the Serials email account?
Answer: The Receiving Specialist
After receiving the Binding Empty Card Email Notification:
- Open the email and copy/paste/search the check in number, bibliographic number, title, or call number.
- Before deleting the check in record, check for the following:
- Make sure you are in the correct record before deleting the check in record.
- Ask yourself: Does it make sense to delete the check in record now? It is always best to check and review the situation before deleting a check in record. Do not delete readily until you are certain that it is okay to delete the check in record.
- If the title was dropped, look for the following in the bibliographic record:
- Are the library holdings closed?
- If it is a bound title, does it have the LOCAL NOTE field: BOUND TITLE and LOCAL NOTE field: DROP BOUND TITLE? If so, proceed to delete these local note fields. They are no longer needed if everything is bound and the check in record is no longer needed.
- If the holdings are closed, proceed to delete the check in record.
- Delete the boxes first. If their are item records attached to the boxes, never ever select "OK". Always select "CANCEL". Then proceed to go to the check in record and delete the check in record (File--->Delete Checkin Record--->OK).
- If the title was a limited retention title, is their a current check in record? If their is a current check in record, then proceed to delete the boxes and then the check in record.